Holgate’s library was founded in 1922 and was originally housed in the Holgate Public School before it moved to the downtown area in 1971 to the building that is now The Junky Monkey.
In 1977 the library moved into the current Cutting Edge building on Wilhelm Street where it remained until 1990.
The current building is located at 204 Railway Ave where it houses a large collection of fiction and
non-fiction books, audio visual materials, DVD’s, and magazines along with a juvenile and young adult selection.
The library is especially proud of their Ohio history collection.
The library purchased the current building that they occupy in 2008 from Richard Meinen.
In 2018, the library tore down the old rounded part of the building that housed the computers, offices, and storage room. The foundation and structure of the building was in really bad shape. Beilharz Design from Defiance, OH acted as our architect and The Dotson Company from Whitehouse, OH was the general contractor. The new addition currently houses the children's department, enlarged storage area, public computer area, and offices. By adding a new area for the children's department, we were able to turn the back room into a community room. This new space allows for programs and meetings to take place. We are looking forward to all the new possibilities we will be able to offer the community!